John Purcell, now the Archbishop of Cincinnati, appoints Rev. Augustus A. Grogan as pastor of the new parish, named in honor of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The cornerstone for the church was laid on the Feast of Corpus Christi, 1853. The first Mass was celebrated in the small, and unfinished church on Christmas Day 1853. The church building was eventually completed and dedicated in 1856, for a total cost of $14,000.